is how I changed my Clutch, Pressure plate and throw out bearing on a 1996
Pathfinder 4wd. Other Nissans similar. Updated, also changed pilot bearing
and tcase driveshaft seal.
Tools needed. Numerous sockets and
wrenchs, torque wrench, Floor jack, jack stands, Clutch Alignment tool, snap
ring pliers, philips, swivel 14mm sockets and long extensions.
- Disconnect battery, trust me.
- Raise vehicle and place on jack stands. I use wheel ramps for front
and jacks under rear axle. On a flat level hard surface. (Garage).
- In side vehicle remove ashtray, center console and shifter boots.
- Remove shifter knobs. They unscrew. normally really tight.
- Using snap ring pliers remove trans shifter.
- Drain transfercase oil. You can leave oil
- Disconnect transfercase shifter, remove from inside.
- Remove stock muffler. 4 bolts in front and 2 rear.
- Unplug 2 electrical connectors under steel shield on pass side.
- Remove both drive shafts.
- Remove 2 starter bolts from trans side and
leave starter connected and in vehicle.
- Remove the 2 14mm bolts holding on Clutch
slave cylinder, zip tie up and out of the way. Do not disconnect hydraulic
- Remove the pass side O2 sensor (Bank 1
- Remove both transmission mount bolts and
nuts at the mount.
- Remove all visible lower 14mm bolts that
connect trans to engine. They go in both directions.
- Put a Transmission jack or jack stand
under transfer case and remove the 4 bolts from Trans crossmember and
remove crossmember, placing weight of trans/TC on Jack.
- Now lower the rear transmission enough so
you can access the UPPER 14mm bolts.
- BEFORE removing all the bolts that connect
trans and engine, remove the 10mm bolt that holds in Crank Position
Sensor. It will get destroyed if you do not remove it before removing
- Remove all upper 14mm bolts with swivel
sockets on 24" extensions.
- Now you should be ready to place trans
jack under transmission/TC and remove both as a unit. 2 men are better
than 1 here.
Lower and remove unit from vehicle and set
- Remove bearing and collar as unit from
front of trans.
- To seperate collar from bearing: I use a
round seal tool and a 2 jaw gear puller. see pic.
- Put clutch alignment tool in clutch disc.
- Now remove all 12mm Pressure plate bolts
- Remove clutch and pressure plate and
- Remove pilot bearing bushing with suitable
tool from crankshaft.
- Insert new bushing in crankshaft.
- Check condition of flywheel, remove and
resurface if damaged. I usually just rough up with sandpaper, just like
- Install clutch disc on flywheel with
- Install pressure plate and tighten in
criss cross pattern see service manual. Tighten to torque specs.
- remove alignment tool.
- Put new bearing in bench vise with collar
and press on.
- Put bearing on front of trans with a
little grease inside collar.
- Raise trans an put back in.
- Put in the 14mm trans bolts first starting
at the top. Leave trans leaning down.
- Install Crank position sensor.
- Install all Trans bolts and torque to
- Install Starter.
- Install Slave cylinder.
- Install O2 sensor.
- Install Trans mount.
- Install crossmember.
- Install both drive shafts
- Install mufller.
- Install Shifters
- Install center consoles.
- Remove fill plug on TC and fill to top of
plug with fluid.
- Connect electrical connectors.
- Install steel sheilds over electrical.
- Lower vehicle.
- reconnect battery.